Thursday, January 12, 2012

Galaktoboureko

I don't know about you, but these rare Summer days are making me want to sit back with a classic book and indulge my sweet tooth whilst I feel my arse get bigger. I'm not talking about sweaty armpits, "I. Want. To. Die. In. A. Pool" stinky heat but that laid back variety as I observe The Boy play with his new Christmas present Nerf water gun aiming for Shooters balls. I'm over this wind "knock my toupee off" campaign that this weather has brought to our beautiful beachy shores of Aystraya and What. The. Fuck is it with this chill? Seriously, I had to walk out the door the other day with my hoodie on (because I'm old and my ears get cold)

The sweet I'm talking about is Mama Jenny's evil nemesis The Galaktoboureko. The only dish she cannot master. It's not extremely difficult to cook, but one that is a challenge and it could go in the toilet for the frogs to eat or fed to my Kangaroo pets in my backyard if it fails miserably.

Galaktoboureko (γαλακτομπούρεκο) is a Greek dessert of semolina-based custard in filo pastry. It may be made in a pan, with filo pastry layered on top and underneath, or rolled into individual servings. It is coated with a sweet syrup.

Its name is derived from the words gala (γάλα; milk in Greek) and bourek (Turkish word burek: pie or pastry). ~ Wikipedia.

Ingredients:


1 Packet Filo Pastry
250g butter – 50g for the cream and the rest for the filo
1 litre fresh milk
2/3 cup fine semolina
1/3 cup thick semolina
Grated rind from 2 lemons or oranges
4 eggs
2 vanilla essence
½ teaspoonful grated cinnamon


For the Syrup

2 cups water
3 ½ cups sugar
3 sticks of cinnamon
3 slices lemon peel or oranges
1 tablespoonful syrup
15 cloves plus some extra for the filo


Method:


Remove the filo from the fridge and let it come to room temperature.
Simmer the milk in a large pan with the sugar and the semolina, stirring continuously until the mixture starts to thicken.
Lower the temperature and add the eggs one at a time whilst stirring vigorously.
Allow the mixture to thicken whilst stirring continuously.
Add the remaining ingredients for the cream.
Set the cream aside, covering it with cling film which is in contact with the cream so as that it doesn’t form a crust.
Melt the butter.
Spread half of the filo on the bottom of a large round oven dish and spread melted butter on it.


Spread the cream on top of the filo.
Place the remaining filo, spread with melted butter, on top of the cream.
Cut round the edge of the oven dish to remove the extra filo.
Fold the filo over the edge of the oven dish.
Butter the surface.
With a sharp knife, score the top of the filo diagonally into portion sizes. In the centre of each portion place a clove.
Bake the galaktoboureko in a preheated moderate oven at 180 degress for up to 45 minutes or until it has a golden colour.
Allow it to cool and cut it where it has been scored, whilst it is still in the oven dish.

Preparation of Syrup


Put the water and sugar in a large pan.
Add the rest of the ingredients for the syrup and boil gently for 20 minutes.
Pour the syrup on top of the galaktoboureko, allowing it to be absorbed. Better to do this after the galaktoboureko is completely cool.
When serving, sprinkle some ground cinnamon on top of each portion (optional).




I also like to follow up my taste buds with this:

Greek Frappe

“He who indulges - bulges”

~ Anonymous

Welcome 2012! I promise to be a good girl and eat healthy food!!

Image Credit

3 comments:

Grace was in all her steps, Heaven in her Eye, In every gesture dignity and love" ~ John Milton. Thank you for your comments.