Thursday, February 2, 2012

Welcome To My Humble Abode You Magnificent Tarts

Since writing my last post and finally celebrating the inclusion of being in a motherhood brigade, I had this earth shattering realisation. Most of the mothers I know are not In My Real Life. Sure I have girlfriends who became mothers waaaaay before I did and they are still integral in my life with information and support. However, all of them live far and it's very rare to physically meet up and share a conversation about parenting with a hot beverage in hand (or an alcoholic variety) as other life and personal situations take priority . The majority of information, support and even a good laugh out loud moment is me sitting at a desk, reading words and staring at photos on the computer - sharing life stories with other mothers.

I'm not sure whether that is fucking sad or what?

All of these women I first "met" on the web via a birth club forum. A forum that I was already part of when I was trying to conceive and also as a miscarriage survivor. Nowadays we are all part of an exclusive and definitely not elusive group of mothers on the Fac.ebook. A much more easily accessible social network with the addition of privacy and protection for the information we disclose and the photos of ourselves and our children that we post.

If I have an issue with toilet training - I go to this group.

If I want some support and reassurance about returning to study whilst still tackling motherhood, wifehood and working part time and everything else in between - I go to this group.

If I want to share ideas, offer my knowledge or just a plain old vent - I go to this group.

If I want to spray my coffee on my computer screen because someone made me piss my pants laughing - I go to this group.

If I just want to lose myself for just a minute in the beautiful community of mothers who don't judge you - I go to this group.

Most of all, the surface of who these women are resonates what I believe they would be like In Real Life - strong, compassionate, creative, selfless, humble, caring, beautiful, and awesome women.

Thanks girls for completing me and being such an important influence in my role as a mother.

You bunch of fucking magnificent tarts!

If we ever do meet in person and you are invited to my home, I will indulge you with this classic Greek appetizer or snack.

~~~~~~

Spanakopita- Cheese & Spinach Pie

Ingredients
 
12 sheets filo pastry

120g butter, melted
1/4 cup (60ml) olive oil
1 or even 2kg baby spinach (depending how much you love the spinach)
250g feta cheese, crumbled
150g ricotta cheese
1 brown onion, finely chopped
1 bunch shallots, finely chopped (optional)
2 garlic cloves, crushed
2 tbs chopped dill
4 eggs, beaten

Method
 
1. Heat oil in a fry pan, then add onion, shallots and garlic. Cook for 1 minute until softened, then add spinach and half the dill. Cook, stirring, over low heat for 1-2 minutes or until spinach has wilted. Drain in a colander and cool, then combine with cheeses, eggs, salt and pepper.

2. Preheat oven to 180°C. Brush a 2 1/2-litre baking dish with butter. Lay one sheet of filo on base and sides and brush with butter. Repeat with 5 more sheets. Spread cheese mixture over top. Cover with remaining filo, brushing each sheet with butter. Trim excess pastry with kitchen scissors and tuck edges into sides of dish. Brush top with butter and score lightly with knife.



OR

Roll the filling to create a dim sim look.



OR

Fold the filling into individual triangle shapes.



Bake for 45 minutes or until golden colour. Rest for a few minutes. Can be eaten hot or room temperature.

This recipe can be substituted for any ingredients you prefer, it is so versatile!

~~~~~

This post is also dedicated to Ants - Making Baby Giraffes, who finally welcomed her long awaited baby girl in December 2011. She asked me for this recipe a very long time ago. Spanakopita is great for a light snack when you are too buggered to cook. The spinach content is also high in iron and perfect for vitamin intake whilst breastfeeding.

Image Credit

11 comments:

  1. Mmmmm that looks so yum!! I am so glad you have these friends, as much as I love my IRL friends the support from blogs and forums is worth it's weight in gold xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. We love you... And i am so coming over to eat that yummy yummy food!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I *love* Spanikopita. And I don't think it's sad that your mom-friends are not present In Real Life. Because what is real these days, anyway? Doesn't it, as in the Velveteen Rabbit, have more to do with love?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I dont know where I would be without the Aus/Kiwi girls Ive met through BC and blogger. I dont think I would be as educated about IF, wet my pants as much, and I dont think I would have come through this IF bitch as well as I have.

    Im glad you have a group to help you with mum stuff. My IRL mohers group is my saviour. Well the good ones anyway. I highly recommend anyone having their first child to make an effort to have coffees and form a mothers group at your local clinic in the first 8-12wks of your babies life. Its gold..

    ReplyDelete
  5. For some reason I can't reply to your individual comments, if anyone knows how to get this working please comment below.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Completely agree Tee - I found the clinic program very informative as a new mother and I still keep in touch with 8 of the mothers in the group. Although I've become close with 2 of them, it's hard to have catch ups etc when everyone is either working, family obligations or having more babies. (I had newborn cuddles the other day from one of the mums) Most of the time I just have the internet as my company and freshly made cappuccino by my side - exactly Chon - worth their weight in gold! Justine it is - love.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Exactly the same here too - Most of my mummy gal pals I have met online, generally all on Babycenter birth boards or through blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The support of people online, who know what your going through or have been through is invaluable. Family and friends just don;t get it like you girls do. I wouldn't have survived the past 3 years without such a supportive group of IF friends.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh thank you thank you!!!Will definitely be making this(as soon as I make it out of the house to get the ingredients that is!)
    Great post too...I can't believe the amazing friends I've made through the original BC group and then subsequently through blogging and other groups and forums.I actually think you almost get more of a sense of what someone is like in this kind of situation as I find it a lot easier to be completely honest and open when writing or emailing...whereas I'm a little more shy IRL! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your recipes... and love that I met you guys via blogging :) Great that you have such a close group to share with for all these years... you must all have a very special connection xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Grace was in all her steps, Heaven in her Eye, In every gesture dignity and love" ~ John Milton. Thank you for your comments.